St. Joseph’s College
2, Tashkent Road
Allahabad – 211 001
Phone: 0532-2408001, 2408875
Principal: Rev. Fr. Louis Mascarenhas
Vice Principal: Rev. Fr. Joseph Ravi
Head Master: Rev. Fr. Sunil Noronha
Medium of Instruction: English
Affiliation: CISCE Board
Category: Boys Only
St. Joseph’s College, founded in the nineteenth century (1884) by the Capuchin Friars
of the province of Ancona and Bologna, Italy, nurtured students through the 20th
century and flourishes in the 21st century under the management of the Roman Catholic
Diocese of Allahabad, with an unblemished record of service to the cause of education.
school began with a small parochial school for the boys of the Cathedral Parish
located first in a rented house. The foundation stone of the nucleus of the present
building was laid by Rt. Rev. Dr. Peschi on 1st January 1884. Bishop Poli called
this little school St. Joseph’s Collegiate. In 1887 it was recognized as a middle
school; it was recognized as ‘European High School’ affiliated to Cambridge University.
In 1907, it came directly under the bishop and the parish priest of the Cathedral.
It was handed over to the Irish Christian brothers of Nainital in 1908 and they
looked after till 1916 when Bishop Gramigna took it over. With a boarding of 26
the total went up to 63 in 1920. Another storey was put up in 1922 by Rev. Fr. Camillus,
OFM Cap. The coming of the new head master in 1921 in the person of Msgr. O. Hogan
who graduated from the Allahabad University and trained in Oxford, put the school
on the top of academic results. This excellence was continued by his successors
such as Fr. A. G. Rego and still continues to be the top school of the city. The
school building was further extended with the Class VII and VIII block, Chemistry
Lab block put up by Rev. Fr. Augustine between 1932-1942. In 1960’s the Class IX-X
block and the junior section block was built along with a large auditorium, a gymnasium
and a swimming pool by Rev. Fr. Cyril E. George.
The boarding was closed in 1980 and the existing buildings were converted into biology
and physics laboratories along with four class rooms. In 1983 the commerce section
was added by Rev. Fr. Thomas D’Souza. However, it had to be closed due to unavoidable
reasons in 1985. Later, it was started again in 2006-07 by Rev. Fr. Louis Mascarenhas.
In 2009 another wing ‘Jubilee Block’ was added to the junior section with a broad
staircase and an elevator by the present principal Rev. Fr. Louis Mascarenhas. Presently,
the college is affiliated to the Council for the Indian School Certificate, New
Delhi, accommodates more than 3500 male students offering commerce and science steams.
the last 125 years, this institution has seen the changing faces of history and
has stood through it all, firm as a rock, an impenetrable fortress to carry forward
its mission of spreading knowledge to one and all and playing a stellar role in
giving the nation each year of the 125 years a crop of brilliant young men who have
brought laurels to the country, at home and abroad. It holds high the banner of
integrity, nationhood, secularism and unity setting an example of selfless service.
Number of Students admitted till date: 26270
Strength of students in the current year: 3350
Number of staff: 133
Non-teaching (domestic inclusive): 47