It was in December 1968 that Bishop R. D’Mello, the then Bishop of Allahabad heard
that the mission compound in Akbarpur was for sale. Bishop R. D’Mello negotiated
with the authorities concerned and purchased the mission compound. Bro. Pascal a
veteran missionary and a practicing doctor who was good both in allopathic and homeopathy
medicines were sent there. There was a case of a woman from Bashkari who was afflicted
by paralysis, who was treated in the medical college at Lucknow and at Kanpur but
was of no avail. She was not able to walk. She was carried to the Mission Compound.
Bro. Pascal started treating her keeping her in one of the outhouses in the compound.
After about a month the paralyzed woman was completely cured and she walked back
to her home. That was a very sensational event which made the people to say that
a great doctor had come to the mission. Unfortunately, within six months he was
transferred to Lapta Mission in Sultanpur District.
In the month of July 1969, Bro. Innocent and Fr. D. Kamath were asked to go to Aknbarpur.
The mission house though a big one with six big rooms, was in a bad shape. Most
of the glasses of the doors and windows were broken and tin sheets were substituted.
Nobody was living in the house for the previous twelve years. The compound wall
was broken in several places and the mission compound had become the grazing place
for the animals of the city. The chowkidar who was a Mushar used to catch snakes
and sell their skins. He had also planted a lot of herbal medicinal plants inside
the compound. He used to treat people who were bitten by snakes and venomous reptiles.
Bro. Innocent and Fr. D. Kamath began to clean the house and also clearing the jungle
around the house. Behind the church there was an old mud house. While demolishing
the house, they found twelve young ones of snakes. Inside the main building they
had killed at least six cobras. Living inside the house used to be a nightmare as
bats also had made homes above the ceiling. At night they used to come out and make
such horrible noise that they used to get frightened. While clearing the jungle,
the chowkidar-watchman was very angry because the medicinal plants were being destroyed
which gave him his daily bread. After clearing the ground, fruit trees were planted
and started cultivating vegetables.
In front of the Gandhi Ashram in the mission compound there were seven horses’ sheds
which were in dilapidated condition. After demolishing the sheds, in 1972 a building
with seven shops was put up to make the mission self supporting. One shop next to
the main gate was made into a Jigyasu Kendra, where students from the neighboring
colleges could come and spend their leisure time reading some newspapers. Jigyasu
Kendra also served as a Catholic information centre.
In 1979 Bishop B. Mudartha invited religious sisters “Maids of the Poor” from Barabanki
to run a technical school for the girls. Initially there were three sisters and
there were 15 typewriters and 12 sewing machines. Together with typing and tailoring
classes, girls and women were given lessons in hygiene and child keeping. In September
1980 some thieves got inside the convent building and carried away all the belongings
of the sisters, leaving only the clothes they were wearing. In order to make the
house safer, iron grills were put on all sides of the building. A pair of Alsatian
dogs was also brought which made the lives of the sisters more secure.
In 1980 the church building which had tiled roof and was in a bad condition was
repaired and a slab roof was put, making the church worthy of God’s house and a
landmark in the city of Akbarpur. As there was quite a lot of cultivable land around
the house, a tube well was put up which besides providing drinking water and water
to cultivate the fields, also provided water to the neighboring farmers.
Due to a fatal accident in 2000 in which two Maids of the Poor Sisters lost their
lives, the Society –M.O.P. decided to close the convent at Akbarpur after which
Sisters of St. Francis of Dilligen (OSF) came to Akbarpur in 2001. At present there
are four sisters – Sr. Lima (Superior) Sr. Alphonsa, Sr. Gyani Ekka and Sr. Pushpa
- in the community who are actively involved both in the school and the parish work.
Uttar Pradesh State Electricity Board (UPSEB), now known as Uttar Pradesh
Rajya Vidyut Utpadan Nigam Limited (UPRVUNL) had erected a new Thermal Power
project in Anpara, with Japanese collaboration in the neighborhood of the Renusagar
Power Station of Hindalco. Renusagar was already a visiting station for the Priest
from Renukoot, with some floating catholic families. The UPSEB organization approached
the Diocese of Allahabad through Rev. Fr. Eric Pinto, who was then the Parish Priest
of Renukoot to begin an English Medium school, affiliated to CBSE Board, to cater
to the educational needs of the wards of UPSEB employees. So, UPSEB made an agreement
with the diocese of Allahabad to provide a rent free school building and a church
to take care of the spiritual needs of the catholic population living in Anpara,
Renusagar, Beena and other nearby villages and also for a convent to help out in
the school as well in the parish activities. Villages around this place were already
visited by Rev. Fr. Bader and his religious brothers when they visited Singrauli
(present Shaktinagar). On account of the Rihand Dam all the villages were submerged
and people were shifted and this is how they settled around Anpara.
When Diocese agreed to open the School, four rooms on the road side near Auri Morh
were given by the plant, for the mission to start the School in 1981. Rev. Fr. Scaria
was the first Priest to stay there till the School building was ready at Anpara
in the township of the Power House. The present church building was provided to
us in the year 1995 with the help of Engineer S. P. Singh, the then Chief General
Manager of the Plant. Parish has almost 550 floating Catholics in 120 families from
Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Mangalore, Jharkhand and some local Catholics. They live at
Bina, Kakhri, Rehta, Renusagar, ATP colony and also in Lal tower Dera & Alexander
Dera. Canossian sisters are also rendering their services in the parish.
Presently parish is divided in to four zones; viz., Anpara Zone, Beena Zone, Renusagar,
Kakhri & Rehta Zone, & Lal Tower Zone.
People are mainly working in Northern Coal mines, Hindalco Power Plant, and also
in Uttar Pradesh State Electricity Board. Most of them work as daily laborers in
the plant. Though ours is a floating community, people are very active, co-operative
and God fearing parish community. They take keen interest in all the church activities.
Hence we feel very happy to give our best to bring up our parish family.
Sunday Liturgy: Sunday Liturgy is made very lively with the involvement of
youth and children, who take an active part. Every family is given a chance to come
forward and take part in the offertory procession. Since we have a good number of
catholic nurses who are working in NCL hospital even on Sundays, to take care of
their spiritual needs, we celebrate Sunday Mass on Every Saturday at 6.30 p.m. in
Sunday Catechism: We have regular catechism classes on every Sunday. Children
are divided into five groups. Four sisters and one lay person teach catechism to
the children. We also conduct the catechism examinations to the children and award
them with a prize each in the month of April every year.
Family Visits: Parish priest along with two sisters go for family visits
on every Monday and Thursday from 6.00 to 9.00 p.m. Family visits are an occasion
for us to know the details of the family, especially their problems, to catechize
them and also to pray with them.
Family Prayer Meetings: We conduct prayer services during Lent and Advent
season in the families. All the families of an area gather in one particular family
and they are given a chance to share their problems, anxieties and also their reflections
based on the Gospel passage.
Singing Practice: It is said-one who sings prays twice. Every Saturday, we
have one hour singing practice to select appropriate hymns for the liturgy &
also to give proper practices to the readers and acolytes. Our melodious singing
of the parish choir helps us to make our liturgy more lively, prayerful and participative.
Meetings: Regular meetings of Parish council members is conducted to discuss
and plan out about the activities in the parish. Time to time youth group and altar
servers are called for meetings and a kind of orientation is given to them about
their participation in the liturgy.
Other than the above mentioned activities, we have one hour of adoration on every
first Sunday of the month. It is prepared and conducted by the parish youth and
children. For Bible Festival we have 100% participation. We conduct competitions
in the parish level and then the selected entries are sent to the zonal level participation.
Our youth take part in all the programmes organized in the zone as well as in the
diocese. We have special liturgy prepared for special occasions like: Holy childhood
day, Teachers day, mothers’ day, fathers’ day, nurses’ day. Every year before Easter
and Christmas, we have a reconciliation service with confessions for the parishioners,
where all the parishioners take part. We also have triduum every year before we
celebrate the feast of our patron Saint St. Francis of Assisi in the month of October.
The Parish Priest makes the sacrament of confession available to the people every
Sunday before the Mass.
St. Thomas Church is situated in the Tehsil of Chunar, in Mirzapur district in Uttar
Pradesh (U.P) India. Chunar is a small township on the bank of the River Ganga to
the southwest of Banares (Varanasi). It is a place of religious and historical importance
and has one of the oldest forts of India built in 56 B.C.
Chunar is one of the oldest mission stations in the whole of North India. It is
listed among the only six parishes/ mission stations in the whole of north India
in the 17th century the others being Patna, Bettia, Lucknow, Agra and Delhi. It
was one of the few stations, which had the privilege of being visited by one of
the great missionaries venerable late Bishop Hartmann. Chunar has one of the oldest
cemeteries in India with its beautiful marble statues, monuments and remains as
beautiful memorial of the past. It has the tombstones dating back to 1726.
According to the written record in the book History of a Mission with a Vision by
Bro. Melchior and companions and published at the occasion of the Centenary Jubilee
of Franciscan Missionary Brothers in the year 2002, the Catholic presence at Chunar
dates back to the beginning of 18th century. “On 10th March, 1785, Fr. Joseph of
Rovato, the Prefect, writing to the Prefect of Propaganda, tells him that he had
sent Fr. Peter dale Fratte, a missionary of the 24th expedition, who had arrived
in India on 31st October 1784 to Chunar, where the wife of the Officer Commanding
was a Catholic and had asked for a resident priest to minister to the Catholics
of the place. Fr. Peter, however, remained in Chunar only for a few months owing
to illness. Fr. Joseph of St. Marcello replaced him.
Chunar was without a Church and a parochial house all these years. It was on 5th
November 1793 that Fr. Juvenalis purchased a small bungalow together with the ground
and the adjoining areas, for a sum of Rs. 150/-, in the name of Patna Mission. He
built a chapel and set aside a piece of land as burial ground for the Christians”
(cf: page 480).
Another record says that there were two Chapels built before Fr. Marcellenus of
Ancona, the Chaplain of Ghazipur and Chunar, built a new CHURCH which was consecrated
and dedicated to St. Finbar by Bishop A. Hartmann on Sunday, 22nd October 1848.
Among these two chapels one was built by Rev. Fr. Juvenalis in 1793 and the other
was built by Rev. Fr. Gregory Mary de Bene and was dedicated to the Sacred Heart
of the Blessed Virgin Mary on 8th August 1838 (cf: plaque of the Chapel preserved
in St. Finbar’s Church).
Chunar was primarily a military base. With the abandonment of Chunar by the troops
in the middle of 19th century, its importance diminished and with it the life in
the Church as most of the Catholics were military men. According to the Catholic
Calendar and Directory of 1896, Chunar was only visited by a priest from Banares
(part of the Diocese of Allahabad then) and had only 38 Catholics.
In 1927 Bishop Angelo Poli sent late Fr. A. Bader (who died in Germany in 1983)
and his brothers of The Society of the Queen of the Apostles of Austria for the
purpose of evangelizing the area. Subsequently, in 1934, the Indian Nuns of the
Third Order of St. Francis established a convent there and visited Ahraura, Mirzapur
and Robertsganj. Till January 1935 they were in charge of Robertsganj as an independent
station. But nothing much was done in Chunar due to unsuitable conditions. One of
the main reasons was Chunar being on the river bank often there were devastating
floods submerging the whole area and the Church. In 1975 the flood waters submerged
the Church up to eight feet. The Church could not be used in the course of time
on account of the floods. The Church was shifted to the Priest-house that too in
course of time was used as a school in1940.
Being the oldest Mission Station of the Diocese of Allahabad the Bishops wanted
to keep the light of faith shining bright at Chunar. Thus, braving all the odds
the missionary activities continued in Chunar. Thus, in 1980 Rt. Rev. Baptist Mudartha
built a new school building for the quality education of the poor and also a presbytery
as priest’s residence under the supervision of Late Frs. Aveline Lewis and Francis
Pereira. The IBMV sisters, presently known as Congregation of Jesus (CJ), joined
in 1983 on 21st June to help in the School administration and pastoral work. In
2000 Late Rev. Fr. Henry Suares built a hospital for the care of the sick which
was also administered by the sisters.
With the passage of time the Chunar Mission has grown from strength to strength
under the dynamic leadership of Rt. Rev. Isidore Fernandes, through efficient, committed
and hard working managers to date. Today, on account of the determined and dedicated
hard work of Rev. Fr. Walter D’ Silva, the manager, the School is upgraded from
Junior High School to St. Thomas Inter College and has 936 students.
Despite having a Hindi medium School, under the strong pressure from the people,
the management was compelled to open a English Medium School as well to be affiliated
to the Central Board of Secondary Education. Under the able supervision of Late
Rev. Fr. Henry Suares, the then Parish Priest and Manager of the Hindi medium school,
a beautiful building was erected with 5 class rooms, 3 laboratory rooms and 2 more
rooms as staff room and office, in the Church premises, which, he himself retrieved
from the unauthorized occupants after almost 30 years of court case. He was, although
very simple and humble by nature, a man of strong conviction and determination.
His hard work yielded in the form of having repossession the property of the Church.
Thus, St. Thomas School (CBSE Board) was formally opened on 3rd April 2006, under
the able leadership of Rev. Fr. Walter D’ Silva, for classes L.K.G to classes III
with 135 admissions in the first scholastic year. By the grace of God and kind co-operation
and support of our Bishop Rt. Rev. Isidore Fernandes, the school is progressing
in leaps and bounds. With the arduous hard work of Rev. Fr. Walter D’ Silva, the
School had the inspection for the affiliation to the Central Board of Secondary
Education on 1st December 2012 and the School is likely to obtain the affiliation
in February 2013. Today, the school caters to students from L.K.G to class X with
896 students on roll.
Moreover, Chunar has a gorgeous and spacious new Church dedicated to St. Thomas
(the Apostle) as the Bicentenary Jubilee memorial, after almost 72 years of abandonment
of the previous one due to dilapidated conditions on account of constant floods.
It also has the newly built Intermediate block and a renovated presbytery with 4
additional rooms. All the three were blessed and inaugurated on 10th November 2012,
by Rt. Rev. Dr. Isidore Fernandes, the bishop of the diocese of Allahabad, at the
occasion of the Bicentenary Jubilee of the Church. The parish celebrated the Episcopal
Silver Jubilee of the bishop as well as he is in his Silver Jubilee Year.
Dostpur is an ancient village situated at the eastern end of Sultanpur District,
150 km. away from Allahabad, a famous Hindu pilgrimage city, near the confluence
of two holy rivers of India: the Ganga and Yamuna. Ayodhya, another important pilgrimage
centre for Hindus, who believe it to be the birthplace of their deity, Lord Rama,
is 80 km. away from Dostpur. In spite of its proximity to several holy places of
the Hindus, this village is a Muslim stronghold. Within the radius of ten miles
of Dostpur there were a hundred villages, forty five of which were inhabited by
Harijans. Each village was grouped according to caste. The joint family system was
prevalent. One long standing tradition of these people was the custom of child marriage.
Today education has brought major changes. The villagers usually called Dostpur
“Chawni”, which means cantonment. The Hindu name Dostpur means the Home of Friends
or people of good will.
The people of Dostpur had never heard the Gospel of Christ until around the year
1944, two Canadian Capuchin Missionaries, Fr. Raymond and a Brother, made their
first appearance among these people. A little later, two German Missionary Brothers
of St. Francis of Assisi (CMSF) arrived at Dostpur from Bombay. These two groups
of missionaries rented two mud houses close to the present Police Thana and divided
the new mission field between them. The people were suspicious and hostile, and
at the end of two years only two families had become Christians. The Canadian Capuchin
Missionaries were working till the division in 1947. The mission remained closed
for a year. Nanku a catechist from Dostpur requested Mgr. Raymond D’Mello, then
the V.G. of the Diocese to send missionaries and start the mission again. On his
request V.G. approached Bishop Leonard Raymond. Two indigenous priests Rev. Frs.
Joseph D’Souza and Lawrence Kurien were sent by Dr. L. Raymond, the then bishop
of Allahabad, they took up the challenge and lived in a small room in the bazaar.
The missionaries had no residence, but in 1949 they acquired four acres of land
and set to work to build a chapel and a presbytery with the help of Rev. Fr. Anthony
Pinto, the place where the mission is today. Later on some more land was purchased
to support and sustain the mission. The people began to come to the new chapel and
accept instruction in the faith. Since the villages were very far from the Church,
Catechists were employed to visit the villages such as Dullapur, Pahadpur, Kisunipur.
Sahangia, Banua, Badauli, Ahlade, Akhandnagar, Masuran, Kunda Bhairopur, Pratapur,
Passiapara, Rasulpur, Dihava, Budane, Saraia, Gangapur, Bethra, Narsingpur, Narainpur,
Madanpur, Dharmapur, Kalispur, Jalalpur, Kyathi Jalalpur, Golanpara, Biraipur, Pherai,
Kallianpur, Bhojpur etc. to instruct the locals.
In 1950 regular Sunday Service was held and catechism classes started functioning.
In the same year Primary School was opened for the local boys. In the year 1956
Sisters of Franciscan Missionaries of Mary (FMM) came to Dostpur to assist the Parish
in pastoral, social, health and educational activities. In spite of difficulties
and opposition the missionary activities at Dostpur increased and the mission property
expanded, mostly wasteland which the mission was trying to bring under cultivation.
In 1977 Maria Nagar and Mariampur basti (Colony) were formed. In 1977 eight convert
families in Mariampur basti were given 6 bigas of land each as a reward for their
faithfulness and the land was registered in their name at the cost of the diocese.
Unfortunately today two of them have given up their catholic faith. In Maria Nagar
four families were given land to cultivate for themselves. A carpentry school was
started to train young boys in Maria Nagar basti which is now closed due to unknown
Later in the year 1981 a beautiful Church and Priest house was built and blessed
by Rt. Rev. Baptist Mudartha, the then Bishop of Allahabad. A boarding house for
boys was also constructed and it was blessed by Rt. Rev. Isidore Fernandes on 22
April 1994. A plot of land was set aside for cemetery. Boundary wall was built to
protect it from encroachment in 2009. Today there are twenty five practicing catholic
families in the Mission. Parish Mission Team (Proclamation Team) was formed on 5th
Activities of the Mission: The Priests, Sisters and Mission team members
visit the families and villages, hold prayer meetings, conduct Rosary, break the
Word of God and administer sacraments to strengthen the faithful in catholic faith.
Every Friday two hours adoration, praise and worship, intercessory prayers are conducted
by the mission team. Second Friday of every month we have whole night adoration,
praise and worship and intercessory prayers. Every Sunday half an hour benediction
before mass. Once a month Mission team members meet to evaluate the activities.
Parish council and youth team are very active in the Parish. Youth and children
are encouraged to go for confessions every month. For this purpose first Saturday
of every month is set aside. Catechism classes are held on every Saturday after
the school gives over. Special instructions are also given on Sundays for those
preparing for Sacraments, such as First Holy Communion, Confirmation and adult catechism.
One coordinator, Supervisor and four animators are set apart to visit the villages
for social work. Awareness on education, health, legal aid and literacy has been
given. As a result we have formed hundred self help groups (SHGs) in 20 villages
consisting of women and men from below poverty line. These groups take up issues
and problems of their village and also do the saving in their day to day life. They
are taught to take income generating activities. The Mission runs a formal School
for the villagers up to class 10 – (High School). Main stress is given to the integrated
development of the students. We also run Nav Jeevan Bal Newas Boarding house for
St. Mary's church Faizabad situated on the bank of river Saryu, north of Allahabad
is one of the oldest churches in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Allahabad opened
for the British Troops. We do not have anything before 1861 in the archives of the
church except there are some entries in the cemetery register including a Catholic
Chaplain but difficult to trace the graves. In 1861 it was separated from the Vicariate
of Agra and annexed to Allahabad which is quite clear in the directory of Roman
Catholic Diocese of Allahabad in 1912. In 1862 its foundation stone was laid by
Rt. Rev. Bishop A. Hartmann and a few years later it was blessed and dedicated to
the Blessed Virgin Mary. At that time the number of the Catholics was 135, of whom
102 were Anglo-Indians and 33 Indians.
Rev. Fr. Cajetan Boccaccio an Irish missionary was the first parish priest who stayed
in this church till the end of his life for almost 38 years. At that time the first
Bishops of Allahabad Diocese Rt. Rev. Dr. Francis Pesci, Rt. Rev. Dr. Charles Gentili
and Rt. Rev. Victor Sinibaldi also visited and participated in the church activities.
Due to poor conveyances, arrival of Bishops was a great event in the Church. The
number of the families were 63 and all were Anglo-Indians. There wasn't any proper
House for the Priests. They used to stay together with military officials.
After Fr. C. Boccaccio in 1901 Fr. Francis, Fr. Alexander and Fr. Gabriel looked
after the church for 6 months each In 1902 Fr. Cherubim took charge of the church.
He rendered his service for 4 years.In his time Catholics visited near by places
like Jaunpur and Pratapgarh Later Fr. Saverian. Fr. Henry and Fr. Francis stayed
here from 1907 to 1913. In 1947 Rt. Rev. Bishop Petronius visited the church. In
1913, Fr. Lawrence under look the responsibility of this church and committed 3
years of his life for it. Who can forget the period of 1914 as this was the time
of the First World War and many soldiers of this church had given their valuable
contribution. After the end of the World War in 1917, Fr. Francis Mary worked hard
selflessly for 6 years to strengthen the faith of the Catholics and their families
Later on, Fr. Cosmos continued the humble services of Fr. Francis Mary from 1923
to 1932 . Further from 1931 to 1943, Fr. Go-Hens, Fr. Anthony , Fr. Bartholowmeo,
Fr. Paul and Fr. Andrew Capechino devoted their services. In 1937 the presbytery
was built and blessed by the Bishop. In 1943 the boundary wall of this church was
raised by the then parish priest Fr. Bernard who toiled day and night for the internal
security of the church by collecting the funds from Diocese of Dublin and Rome.
In 1946, Fr. Francis Pillay the first diocesan priest became the Parish Priest.
Meanwhile Rev. Bishop Angelo Poli, the 5th Bishop of our Diocese visited during
his tenure and asked the Parish Priest to renew the lease papers. Looking at the
decreasing number of Catholics and to keep himself busy Fr. Pillay presented the
wise and appreciable proposal of opening a school with Bishop Angelo Poli, as a
result of which St. Mary's school was founded and dedicated to Mother Mary. Together
with this in 1947, Fr. Pillay was also appointed as a Religious preacher in the
Railways. Subsequently the tribal population gave their presence in the church.
In 1956, Fr. Steven, a very dynamic priest took over the responsibility of the church
and school and prepared for the centenary celebration. Meanwhile in 1961, the centenary
celebration of this church took place at a grand scale. The church was painted in
different colours. In 1959, St. Mary's community rejoiced when Canossian Daughters
of Charity a Religious association founded by St. Magdalen arrived with 3 sisters
From 1964 to 1986, Fr. George Desouza, Fr. A. Mendonca, Fr. Stanley Mascarenhas
and Fr. Stanny, Fr. Germaine Desouza rendered their precious service for this church.
In 1971 the Garrison Cemetery was handed over to Roman Catholic Church and Church
of North India for its upkeep and maintenance. The Church is grateful to 2 of its
members Mr. George Reneaux and Mr. Alfred Donald Carter for their committed efforts
in this regard. Today Mr. Cecil and Dr. Charles are members of the Cemetery Board.
In between Rev. Bishop Alfred Fernandez visited the church. On 1st July 1986 Fr.
Michael Martin took over as the parish priest who could walk even at midnight freely
around the campus. In his 6 years stay at Faizabad he constructed additional school
buildings and classes till 8th standard. In 1993, an enthusiastic and visionary
priest Fr. Aveline Lewis arrived and did a lot of alterations and reconstruction
of the church, school building and the parish house. He was a very diligent and
prayerful person so people remember him as a simple person any time they could knock
his door for help. His contribution to the church and school will never be forgotten.
He celebrated the golden jubilee of the school.
In 1999 a young, energetic Fr. John Louis D'Souza took over as the Parish Priest.
During his 8 years tenure he obtained recognition of high school classes so that
the students could obtain education right from Nursery to class 10. For the spiritual
development, he beautifully organized the family prayers and rosary etc. It was
conducted from house to house by Parishioners themselves. He also rendered service
for the poor and needy village children. He gave them a chance to get education
in the school. He arranged many cultural, educational programmes and activities
with a new zeal and enthusiasm. It was a great occasion when he celebrated his priestly
In 2007 Fr. Baptist D'Souza a charismatic and revolutionary leader, built strong
relationship between the members of cantonment board and civil officers. In the
very beginning for the security of the campus he raised the boundary wall and gave
a strong protection to the compound. Due to the decline of the CNI Church in Faizabad
there was a resurgence of new churches in Faizabad. To resolve the incumbency and
confusion he organized many Common Christian Programmes. They came together for
carol singing, candle light procession etc. and people were invited from different
denominations. He got the cemetery wall built and cemetery was in a much better
condition than any time before. In 2009 Canossian Sisters celebrated their golden
jubilee of their arrival in Faizabad. He also started English medium section in
the school and set the Church for the sesquicentennial Jubilee Celebration. In the
year 2011, Fr. Anil Michael arrived. On 13th November 2011, Bishop Isidore Fernandes
inaugurated the jubilee year with Fr. Anil Michael, Parish Priest and Fr. Stephen
Manoj as assistant. On this occasion we are highly indebted to the valuable and
selfless contribution put forth by all the Rev. Bishops, Rev. Priests, Canossian
Sisters and laity of the St. Mary's Church, Faizabad.
St. John’s Church, formerly known as Sneh Niketan Catholic Mission was situated
at 92 Patel Nagar, Fatehpur. The late Rev. Fr. Joseph D’souza was the first priest
to visit this place. Due to a call from Dostpur village, the place which he had
already visited had to be given up.
St. John’s Mission, Fatehpur had a challenging beginning. It was on 15 the Nov,
1980 Rev. Fr. Edward Goveas along with Fr. Denis D’Souza visited Biland Village,
8Km away from Fatehpur at the instruction of Most Rev. Baptist Mudhartha the Bishop
of Allahabad. Both Fr. Edward and Fr. Denis (Brother of Fr. Alex D’Souza) stayed
in Biland village for one year. Thereafter they moved on to Fatehpur city where
Dr. Tej Mansingh allotted them a place on rent. They began their mission by visiting
the sick in the hospitals and visited families in Bindiki as well. It was in the
year 1984 the Congregation of Indian Missionary Society was asked to take care of
Fatehpur Mission. On 24th Nov, 1984 Rev. Fr. Mariadas IMS became 1st IMS member
to arrive Fatehpur. He stayed with Dr. Tej Mansingh for 2 years. Fr. Dayanand IMS
took over the reins from Fr. Mariadass in July 1986. In June 1987 a small plot was
purchased by the members of IMS from Mr. Babu Charles. And that is how SnehNiketan
Mission came into existence. Holy Mass was offered for the people of God in the
small room in snehaniketan. There were 4 families and a few nurses from kerala working
in the local hospital. Rev. Fr. Anand also joined Fr. Dayanand in serving the people
of Fatehpur. In July 1989 Rev. Fr. Arvind arrived Fatehpur and served the people
of God in Fatehpur mission. He rendered his dedicated service to the people of Fatehpur
until 1st July, 1995. Meantime Fr. Sudeep also was here from July 1991 to July 1992.
A new chapter in the history of Fatehpur mission began when Fr. Prem Anthony arrived
Fatehpur on 9th July, 1993. On 23 July, 1993 almost 4 acre land was bought in the
name of Allahabad Diocese Education Society and was registered. On 2nd July 1994,
Fr. Walter Santosh joined Rev. Fr. Prem and Fr. Arvind in Fatehpur. During the time
of Fr. Prem IMS, Fatehpur mission has achieved important milestones. In the year
1997 Fr. Walter Santosh was made in charge of the mission. Rev. Fr. Amardeep came
to Fatehpur to assist Fr. Santosh in the year 1997. On 22nd May, 2000 Fr. Santosh
was transferred and Fr. Amardeep became the incharge of the mission. On 26th July,
2001 Fatehpur Mission was blessed because Rev. Sisters from IBMV congregation (presently
CJ) came to serve Fatehpur mission and to render their service in the newly opened
St John’s School at Jail Road. Sr. Fernanda, Sr. Beena, Sr, Joyce and Sr Sunita
were the first members. Since then the chapel was shifted to St. John’s school campus.
On the 16th of February Bishop made his pastoral visit to Fatehpur and confirmed
18 adults. Meantime Fr. Raj Kumar joined to assist Fr. Amaranth.
On 13th July, 2006 Fr. Dhyanchand was welcomed to Fatehpur as an incharge of the
mission. Fr Dhyanchand remained only for 2 years in Fatehpur and handed over the
responsibility of taking care of the mission station to Rev. Fr. Arvind IMS with
effect from 20th January, 2008. On 3rd January, 2009 Bhumi Pujan was performed for
the new church. Most Rev. Isidore Fernandes was the main celebrant. On 29th January,
2009 foundation Stone was laid for the new church building in St. John’s school
campus, Near New Tehsil, Jail Road, Fatehpur during the pontificate of Pope Benedict
the Sixteenth. Thanks to all the priests from IMS congregation who have taken utmost
care in catechizing the faithful in Fatehpur by administering sacraments, through
pastoral visits, and by organizing prayer meetings, retreats in the families and
in the church.
Another chapter in the history of Fatehpur mission began when Most Rev. Isidore
Fernandes took over the mission from Indian Missionaries Society on 22nd June 2010.
The IMS handed over the station to the diocese as they built their own school along
the main road, in Fatehpur.
Fr. Vipin D’souza became the first diocesan priest incharge of Fatehpur Mission
near Jail Road. He continued vigourously the good work began by the IMS priests.
Thanks to all the sisters who have become part of this mission and whose continuous
prayerful support has helped the miniature church of Fatehpur to grow tall.
At present, in 2013, the church has 16 active families, a dynamic parish council,
devout altar servers’ association and energetic youth association and a charismatic
prayer group of our youth. May the church in Fatehpur grow spiritually.
The Parish council of St John’s Church Fatehpur was formed on 4th August 2011 on
the feast of St. John Mary Vianney. Hence the 1st Parish Council Meeting was held
on August 11, 2011. Following are the office bearers and members of Parish Council.
St. Anthony’s Church
184-A, Block-A, Sujatganj
Shymnagar, Kanpur – 208 013
Parish Priest: Rev. Fr. Robert Sunil Noronha
Religious: Missionaries of Charity (MC)
A Brief History:
St. Anthony’s Church was blessed and inaugurated by His Lordship Rt. Rev. Isidore Fernandes, Bishop of Allahabad on 26th September 2004. It was towards the end of 2002 Bishop Isidore encouraged Fr. Herald Tauro to look for a plot for the church at Sujatganj. After looking in several places for a plot at Shyamanagar, finally one place was found to be good for church and bishop bought a plot. Fr. Herald was appointed as priest incharge of St. Anthony’s church in July 2004.
1) Rev. Fr. Robert Sunil Noronha
2) Rev. Sr. Rose Sarita (Superior MC)
3) Mr. Jaimon T.L. (Vice-president)
4) Mr. Donald P. Joel (Treasurer)
5) Mr. Antony Joseph (Secretary)
6) Mr. Michael M.L.
7) Mr. Peter Fernandes
8) Mrs. Anjali Anderson
9) Mrs. Risha Layal
St. Anthony’s Youth Association has got 23 members.
1) St. Anthony’s Altar Servers’ Association.
2) Bl. Mother Teresa Womens’ Association
3) St. Wenceslaus Mens’ Association
It was the wisdom and foresight of Rev. Fr. B.J. Pereira that bought the little
plot in which the church is now situated. In 1952 Rev. Fr. B. J. Pereira built the
present recreational hall where holy mass was said every Sunday evening. And from
1955 to 1958 Rev. Fr. Alfred Mendonca and Rev. Fr. Philip Neri Noronha offered the
holy mass in the same recreational hall alternatively on Sundays. The history also
says that Rev. Fr. B. J. Pereira had also opened a primary school in the same campus
which had to be closed in 1955 for the reasons unknown.
In 1965 St. Joseph convent was opened and from then onwards Sunday mass was celebrated
there and also the masses on week days for the sisters.
On Sunday December 1st 1968, Most. Rev. Bp. Raymond D’Mello blessed the foundation
stone for the present church building and it was inaugurated by him on Monday 8th
September 1969. Rev. Fr. Alfred Mendonca served as a first parish priest from 1968
to 1975 together with Rev. Fr. Lawrence D’Mello. In 1975 Rev. Fr. John of the Cross
took over as a parish Priest thereafter Rev. Fr. Shradhanand Prabhu, Rev. Fr. Antony
Pinto and Rev. Fr. Kurian served the church faithfully. In 1981 Rev. Fr. Denis D’Souza
who took over as a parish priest and in his time the Chakeri parish came to the
live face of today. His work was enhanced by Rev. Fr. George D’Souza and Rev. Fr.
Louis Mascarenhas. Rev. Fr. Cajetan Saldanha Fr. Ambrose and Rev. Fr. Scaria. Rev.
Fr. Noel D’Souza also rendered his valuable services to the development of this
parish. Thereafter in 1993 Rev. Fr. Victor Rodrigues took over as a parish priest
and was assisted by Rev. Fr. Gregory D’Souza, Rev. Fr. J.B. Crasta. In the year
2000 Rev. Fr. Apolin Lobo succeed as a parish priest to Rev. Fr. Victor Rodrigues
and assisted by Rev. Fr. Herold Tauro, Rev. Fr. Titus Lobo and Rev. Fr. Sunil Mascarenhas.
In 2007, Rev. Fr. John lobo was appointed as a parish priest and was assisted by
Rev. Fr. Sunil Mascarenhas, Rev. Fr. Ignatius Kujur and presently Rev. Fr. G. P.
Patron: Our Lady of Perpetual Succour
Address: Sada Sahay Mata Mission
Pasna P.O., Allahabad – 212 302
Telephone: +91 9956155777
Parish Priest: Rev. Fr. Titus Lobo
Religious: Congregation of Jesus (CJ)
A Brief History:
Since 1966 this place was visited by late Rev. Fr. Faustin Alva. In Meja tehsil there was drought in 1966. To help specially the landless people Fr Alva visited the villagers with the scheme of food for work. Fr. Alva was succeeded by Rev. Fr. Eric Pinto who concentrated on the remote area in this tehsil consisting of 5 villages and on his transfer this social work came to a standstill till 1979. In 1980 Rev Fr. Apolin lobo the director of DDWS visited the place. In the same year Meja tehsil was caught up again in drought. After 15 years it was decided to establish a mission station and so land was bought to start a dispensary at Kapoori. The clinic was taken over by the IBMV sisters (now known as CJ Sisters) and Rev. Fr. Avelin D’Silva took charge of the mission and the school. It was blessed by the then bishop Rt. Rev. Dr. Baptist Mudartha, on July 4, 1984. Due to Fr. Titus lobo’s untiring efforts the school is upgraded and recognised up to class 10 in the year 2010.
Khrist Bhawan, Catholic Mission is situated in a big village Mudila, 50 kms from
the district headquarter Sultanpur and 150 kms from the diocesan headquarter Allahabad.
The neighboring closest mission station is Dostpur, 13 kms from Mudila.
Late Rev. Fr. Anthony Pinto who was residing in Dostpur mission often cycled to
Mudila to study the place and the people over there and the prospects to open a
new mission. There was not land available for sale. Finally, he saw a vast stretch
of ushar (sodium) land surrounded by many villages. Though the land is not suitable
for agriculture and drinking, Fr. Pinto thought that such margins are God’s site
With the permission of Bishop Leonard Raymond, 30 bighas of land from Mahadeo Singh
of Pahadpur-Kamtaganj was bought for Rs.2000.00 in 1957. Late Fr. Joseph D’Souza,
the attorney signed the Registration deed at Kadipur.
Fr. Pinto cycled to Mudila to find a shelter, close to the property. Mr. Bulesar,
a Khevat by caste, offered the place. On 17th June 1957, Fr. Pinto collected some
wheat-flour, dal, rice, tea, sugar cooking utensils, a bucket, and dumped them into
a sack and his personal belongings in a bedding and cycled to Mudila with Ram Dular
Pandey, a catechumen as his companion and cook. But when they reached the village,
Mr. Bulesar refused to give the house due to the opposition of the villagers. Seeing
Fr. Pinto’s anxiety and sad plight Bulesar’s wife, a noble soul whispered something
into her husband’s ears, and then pointed to the cowshed, saying he could stay there.
Fr. Pinto entered the cow shed with a profound bow as the entrance was very low.
There was a meeting in the village under the leadership of Panchayat secretary and
assistant pradhan and it was decided that Fr. Pinto should clear away from the cowshed;
otherwise he would be in serious trouble. They threatened Bulesar and Fr. Pinto
that they would set fire to the shed. But Fr. Pinto refused to quite the place.
Then he slowly started to make a mud-boundary to the plot but there was lot of opposition
from the people.
The early hours of 17th Jan 1958 were inauspicious for the mission. About fifty
intruders under the leadership of the Panchayat Secretary, came raising deafening
slogans ‘Bharat Mata Ki Jai’, and knocked down the boundary, destroyed the bunds
of the fields and made a road through the centre of the mission compound. They also
made a Ghandhi Chabutara on which the national flag had been hoisted. Fr. Pinto
offered Mass rather early, praying to God to guide and strengthen him in this hour
of darkness. Despite biting cold he rushed to Kadipur by cycle to appraise Tahsildar
Gyan Bahadur Singh of the critical situation. Though the Tahsildar was not there,
his wife, a former St. Mary’s girl, seeing him shivering with cold, assured him
all the help. When Tahsilar came, he told him to write a report to be sent to the
DM and requesting the D.M. to authorize his deputy Mr. Sharma with full powers to
handle the situation.
On his return from Kadipur to Mudila, he found his cook absent. So no cook, no food,
nor was there any fire wood to prepare something. He said his rosary and other prayers
and slipped under the blankets. What had happened that day gave him night-mares
and would not give him a wink of sleep. At about midnight, an old lady, bend more
than 90 degree, whispered something through the bamboo door. When he opened the
door, she offered him a lota full of hot milk and a small basket filled with roasted
grains. “Eat and drink, if anything is left over, keep it for the morning. If the
villagers want to kill me, I won’t mind. I am old now, I am the house owner’s mother,”
she said and left him. He munched some grains and gulped down half of the milk;
the rest he finished in the morning. This old lady repeated her generous gesture
on the two following nights.
Fr. Pinto during this critical situation found consolation in reading the Psalm,
“I have heard the slander of the crowd, and fear is all around me as they plot together
against me, as they plan to take my life. As for me, I trust in you, Lord my God.
My life is in your hands; deliver me from the hands of those who hate me”. Then
he added, “I am working for your glory, Lord, and not for my honor, deliver me from
this hour of darkness”.
21st February 1958 was a memorable day in the annals of Mudila mission. The Tahsilar
visited Mudila and asked his deputy Mr. Sharma to do the needful. At the behest
of Mr. Sharma, the pradhan removed the flag and asked the people to repair the boundary
and the bunds of the fields. Thus the problem was tactfully solved.
As peace dawned in Mudila, Fr. Pinto with the villagers managed to put up a thatched
shed in the mission property. There was also a mini-dispensary for “dava and dua”
in the shed. Many villagers flocked to this dispensary and got well. Bro. Paschal
joined him and took charge of the dispensary.
The need was felt to have a pakka house. As the construction work was in progress,
there was a dreadful news of the cholera epidemic which spread like a wild-fire
in the villages. From sun-rise to sun-set Fr. Pinto kept on visiting the villages,
consoling them and helping them. Filth, remnants of purges and vomiting, unpleasant
smell, little babies crying, groaning of men, wailing of women for their departed
ones were nauseating, repulsive, pathetic and heart-rending. Children of 8 to 10
years dug holes in the nearby fields and buried their smaller brothers and sisters.
At night jackals and dogs would dig them out and make a meal of them. Bro. Paschal
and Fr. Pinto did what they could to help the people. The epidemic gradually began
to abate after one and a half months fury.
Bishop Leonard Raymond blessed the house in the presence of some priests and nearly
500 villagers. 30 boys volunteered to stay in the boarding. They also opened 8 night
schools and a primary school in the house. Then they put up a school building. Fr.
Philip Noronha was sent to Mudila as co-pastor. After one year, Fr. Francis Foran
replaced him. Fr. D. Crusbhakt I.M.S. Fr. B. Pereira also worked with Fr. Pinto
for some time.
Christmas was great event for the people in and around Mudila. Crib and Mela were
an added attraction. About 100 people took part in the Eucharistic celebrations.
In 1964 Bishop Raymond came to Mudila to confirm 41 people.
Fr. Pinto was transferred to Lapta and Fr. Prabhu took charge of Mudila. As Fr.
Prabhu was ill, Fr. Aveline D’silva replaced him. He put up a boarding house adjacent
to the Chapel. After some years Fr. Aveline got a transfer and Fr. Prabhu came back
again as in-charge. After three years Fr. Lazarus D’Mello took charge of the station
with Fr. S. D’Cruz as his assistant. Fr. Thomas Serrao, an active and zealous missionary
became in-charge and served the mission for about 8 years. He is followed by Fr.
John Louis Souza. During his tenure the Samaritan Sisters came to Mudila and opened
their convent and dispensary. He is followed by Fr. Ignatius for one year, and Fr.
Lancy D’cunha for five years, and Fr. William Mathias for five years. Fr. William
built the new school building and the school was upgraded into junior high school.
Thereafter Fr. Damien Gomes served the mission for 7 years and at present Fr. Leo
Sequeira is the mission in-charge. Fr. Vincent Pereira, assistant in Mudila constructed
the new school building. He was a great help in raising the school to High School
and also getting the Minority Status to our school. At present Fr. Stephen D’Mello
is the assistant at Mudila mission.
Now, in 2012, there are 18 catholic families who belong to the lower middle class.
The priests, the sisters and the catechist visit these families in different villages,
hold prayer meetings and celebrate the Eucharist twice a year with them in their
villages. Since we are surrounded by people of other faiths, we have good relationship
with them. Christmas is celebrated in a big way. Carol singing is conducted in many
villages, mostly in non-Christian families. Thousands of people of other religions
come for the Christmas mela and many come to pay homage to baby Jesus in our crib
and the chapel. We have a small youth group which is vibrant and active. They are
sent for youth programmes conducted by the diocese and the region. The mission is
also involved in the development work with the help of the sisters. Sisters also
run a dispensary to cater to the health needs of the villagers. At present the main
focus of the mission is education, particularly the education of the girl child,
which is very much neglected in the area.
St. Xavier’s Mission is located between Mandhana and Naramau. It is about 13 km
from Ashok Nagar and approximately 4 kilometers after I.I.T. Kanpur. It is in village
called Pargahi Kachar that falls under Mandhana Post. The nearest landmark is Ram
Ganga Housing Society.
When we turn the pages of history we come to know that in 1974 late Rev. Fr. Antony
Pinto was entrusted with a responsibility by then Bishop Rt. Rev. Alfred Fernandez
to open a mission station in Naramau. He saw many plots of land and then bought
a few acres of land at Naramau. St. Xavier’s mission had two visiting stations,
Panki and I.I.T., where Sunday services were held because there was problem of conveyance
from those places. There was considerable number of Catholics at both the places.
After Late Rev. Antony Pinto, the mantle was transferred to Late Rev. Fr. Francis
Pereira who was instrumental in starting St. Xavier’s School way back in 1986. In
the year 1996 the Sisters of Daughters of Sacred Heart started their convent. The
priests were staying in the school itself. In the year 2003 new presbytery was inaugurated
which was built under the guidance of Rev. Fr. Fredrick D’Souza. In the early years
the parishioners used to go to St. Francis Xavier’s Church, Ashok Nagar, for major
feasts. But later on the services were held in the chapel attached to the old convent
building. As the number increased services were shifted to the class room. Late
Rev. Fr. Michael Martin became the Parish Priest in the year 2004. Most Rev. Isidore
Fernandes built and blessed a dispensary in the year 2007. In the year 2009, Rev.
Fr. Melwin Wilson D’Souza became the Parish Priest. Presently the services are held
in a small prayer hall.
The priests regularly visit the houses. Presently there are thirteen Catholic families.
The students from I.I.T. Kanpur and other medical colleges also attend Sunday services.
The youth of the parish take active part in all the activities of the parish. The
parish youth have won prizes in the Diocesan Bible Festivals. The following priests
have served the institution:
St. Peter’s Church, Rae Bareli is situated on the Lucknow-Allahabad Highway. The
history St. Peter’s Church dates back to 1947 when Rev. Fr. Anacletus D’Souza (the
first parish priest) purchased a small piece of land at Chhajlapur village situated
on the outskirts of Raebareli city and got a temporary room with thatched roof built
and lived there for some years.
Fr. Anacletus’ interaction and friendly dealings with the (poor) people had an immediate
effect on them and his popularity soon spread around the adjoining areas of Chhajlapur
village and a large number of villagers flocked to him for their spiritual needs.
As the existing one room was insufficient, Fr. Anacletus bought another piece of
land where he put up three rooms to accommodate the people for the prayer service
and thus built the present Church. It was he who laid a solid foundation to enable
people to profess their faith under one roof. He lived truly an austere life, making
so much sacrifice with no proper food and normal comforts. This gives us an idea
of the spirit of sacrifice and the noble service rendered by our Diocesan Missionaries.
In 1972 the Church was dedicated to St. Peter, the First Apostle of Jesus Christ.
Subsequently the Ursuline Franciscan Sisters were invited to help in the Mission
work. St. Peter’s School was founded in 1983, responding to the growing demands
for a school by the general public of Raebareli. Presently the sisters are also
rendering their service in school.
The following is a list of Parish Priests who have worked tirelessly and unflinchingly
in the Pastoral and Mission Activities.
Patron: Our Lady of Lourdes
Address: Lourdes’ Church, Renukoot,
Sonebhadra District – 231 217
Telephone: 05446 - 252939
Parish Priest: Rev. Fr. Raymond D’Souza
Religious: Ursuline Mary Immaculate (UMI)
A Brief History:
This mission is just 100 yards from Renukoot Railway Station and in the neighborhood of Rehand Dam (Asia’s biggest water reservoir), and in the township of Hindalco Aluminium Factory. The land for the Church and the School was leased to the Diocese by Kanoria Chemicals Ltd. (Now it’s called Aditya Birla Chemical India Ltd – ABCIL) in 1964. Due to the untiring efforts of Rev. Fr. Stephen Rodrigues the first building for the Church and the school came into existence. Rev. Fr. Eric Pinto, Fr. William D’souza, Fr. Richard Fernandes, Fr. Aveline Lewis, Fr. Victor Rodrigues and many others were the Parish priests and the Asst. Parish priests. The present church was constructed during the tenure of Fr. Ambrose D’Souza and was blessed on November 15, 1996 by Rt. Rev. Isidore Fenandes. After Rev. Fr. Ambrose D’Souza, Fr. J.B. Fernandes was the parish priest and in his tenure the priest house was built and blessed on 15th Nov. 2011. He was followed by Fr. Oswald D’Souza. Due to his sudden untimely death in Jan 2008 Fr. Melwin Wilson D’Souza was sent in his place as a care taker till June 2009. From July 2009 to till date Rev. Fr. Raymond is the Parish Priest. The faithful are mostly from Kerala, Jharkand and Chattisgarh. Most of them are working in the factories, hospital, schools and in railways. Today there are 54 families in the parish.
The parish council is very vibrant and service oriented. We have the meetings on every 2nd Sunday after the Holy mass. The members are always creative and have progressive suggestions for the holistic growth of the parish family.
This HOLY CROSS has a history. It was found in one of the Hindu temple, in Murdhwa, Renukoot. It seems it was there for so many years. The temple priest called the parish priest and handed over this cross. Then it was installed in the church premises.
The youth of the parish contribute their best in the parish activates. They meet once in a month. There are 15 members in this movement.
The sodality meets for the instructions and meeting on 4th Sunday after the mass. Every Sunday two altar servers get the chance to serve at the altar and on every special occasion all the servers are on the altar. The list of the Altar server is displayed on the Church Notice Board, so that every child is aware of their turn to serve at the altar.
In order to make the Sunday liturgy more meaningful and relevant every faithful has to play an active and sacred role along with the main celebrant of the mass. The word of God is proclaimed/ read clearly and loudly. The parish has the Readers Association. The members of this association take the turn to read the 1st and 2nd readings and also the prayer of the faithful. There are 70 members in this association. Their names are displayed on the church notice-board; so that every member is aware of his/her turn to read the word of God on respective Sundays. They are given Sunday liturgy leaflet in one week advance, so that they have enough time to practice at home and read on their turn, from the lectionary.
SUNDAY CATECHISM: The parish is divided into four groups of children for the catechism. Every
Sunday after the mass the catechism class is held and other than the parish annual catechism
exam the children also participate in the diocesan catechism exams.
FAMILY VISITS: The parish priest regularly visits the families. These visits are really
enriching and well encouraged.
PRAYER MEETINGS: We have very often prayer meetings in the families. A good number of people
join these prayer meetings in the families.
NOVENA AND OTHER DEVOTIONS: On every Wednesday, we have novena to Our Lady of Perpetual Help
followed by holy mass. A good number of people attend this devotion regularly. Every year, the
feast of Nativity (Sept 8) is celebrated as a Mothers’ Day in the parish. Nine days novena and
mass is well attended by the people. Also nine days novena and triduum is kept every year in
order to celebrate the parish annual feast (Feb 11). In the month of October, practically every
family keeps the prayer meeting where we collectively recite the Holy Rosary in the respective
MASS IN THE SUB STATION: There are sizable number of people who live in the deras (slums) away
from the parish. On Sundays, it’s difficult for them to reach to the parish. So we have mass on
every Saturday in our Khrist Jyoti High School, Murdhwa, for these people and they attend in
PARISH CHOIR: Our parish choir is melodious and beautiful. Children, youth, and others, along
with the sisters, sing beautifully.
The NTPC had already a school run by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Allahabad at
Shaktinagar. After six years the NTPC invited RCD, Allahabad again to open a school
for the second Power Project at Rihandnagar in July 1984.The first Priest in charge
was Rev. Fr. Noel D’Souza who was assisted by Rev. Fr. Aveline Luis. Five sisters
of the Institute of the Blessed Virgin Mary (IBMV) now known as CJ, Allahabad were
asked to help out in the pastoral and educational ministries. There were already
Catholic families from South India and Chhota Nagpur (Jharkhand) working in the
NTPC project pant and living there. This project was built with British Collaboration.
In the beginning the Church services were held in the school hall. Later on the
diocese built a Church in 1994 which was blessed by Rt. Rev. Isidore Fernandes,
Bishop of Allahabad on December 8, 1994. Fr. Noel D’Souza (1984-1986), Fr. Charles
D’Almeida (1986-1989), Fr. Richard Fernandes (1989-1997), Fr. A. James Francis (1997-2003),
Fr. Rajesh Simon Thakur (2003-2008) and Fr. Santosh Kumar Everest (2008 - ----)
served the people of God with utmost dedication.
This place is situated to the south of Varanasi in Sonebhadra Distt. This station
was opened by Dr. Angelo Pole in 1922. The first resident Priest’s were missionaries
in the person of Rev. Fr. Celestine, OFM Cap. and Rev. Fr. Michael, OFM Cap. At
first these two missionaries lived in a tent. They managed to get a plot of land
but one of them fell ill so they were called back. In 1929 Rev. Fr. Anthony Bader
and Br. Benedict of the Society of the Queen of the Apostles (German Missionaries)
started visiting the place from Chunar. On January 12, 1931 Br. Benedict was sent
there and in April he laid the foundation for the house of the missionaries and
a Chapel was added to it in April 1935 by Rev. Fr. Anthony Bader
Catholic Mission, Sadwa Kalan, Naini, Allahabad Dt – 212 108
Parish Priest: Rev. Fr. Lancy Xavier D’Cunha
A Brief History:
With the view of proclaiming the kingdom of God by opening a school, Hospital, and a social welfare Center or a centre for alternate ministry a piece of land at Sadwa, Naini, 11 kilometres away from Allahabad in Mirzapur Road was purchased. Due to some technical difficulties plans for school building is not passed by the ADA i.e. Allahabad Development Authority. Negotiation to get this piece of land was done in the year1997-98 and the sale deed was done on 6th of January 2000. Rev. Fr. Wilfred D’Souza took care of this land for a few years residing at Jan Hit Sadan, Naini. This mission was inaugurated officially by Rt. Rev. Isidore Fernandes, Bishop of Allahabad in November 2005. Since then a little bit cultivation is only done.
Patron: St. Joseph
Address: St. Joseph’s Mission
Ward No.8, Kanaknagar
Allahabad District – 212 108
Parish Priest: Rev. Fr. Albert Lobo
Regent: Bro. Melwin P. Pais
A Brief History:
The land in Shankergarh, on the way to Banda, was purchased in 2002 by the Bishop, Rt. Rev. Isidore Fernandes. In the year 2003, Fr. Eric Pinto volunteered to work in the area staying in a rented room. During his stay there, he purchased another plot of land in Ward No. 8 where he put up a building for the school. Fr. Eric fell sick in 2006 after which he had not regained his health.
Fr. Thomas SSP took up the mission for a year 2007. However, Fr. Ambrose D’Souza succeeded him for a year in 2008-2009. In 2009, Fr. Albert Lobo was appointed the mission in charge. He opened a Computer institute for the village people.
In 1967, a plot was acquired from the Lucknow Diocesan Trust Association by the
late Bishop Raymond D’Mello on the Allahabad Faizabad Road, opposite to the Collectorate
with the persuasive efforts of late Rev. Fr. Faustin Alva, the then Parish Priest
(Rector) of St. Joseph’s Cathedral, Allahabad, wherein now the Karunashray hospital
In 1968 the late Bishop Raymond D’Mello acquired another plot of land from Mrs.
Florence Buchman in the Civil Line with a residence and a small Church in it. Bro.
Paschal was the care-taker of the property till Rev. Fr. Stephen Rodrigues was appointed
the first Chaplain.
The inauguration and blessing of the Church and the Convent took place on 1st July
1968 with the arrival of Rev. Fr. Stephen Rodrigues from Renukoot and Sr. Canice,
the first Sister Superior, and her community of five Sisters of the Little Flower
of Bethany, Mangalore. And thereafter the place came to be called the Catholic Mission,
Sultanpur, and the convent was named as Stella Maris. Mrs. Ruth John and her three
sons, members of the Methodist Church, received into the Catholic Church by Fr.
Stephen Rodrigues and later Mr. John Gunny by Rev. Fr. J. B. Castelino, formed the
core of the Catholic community of Sultanpur. The Church Bell came as a gift from
the Mudila Mission.
Soon after, Fr. Stephen Rodrigues was given the responsibility of constructing a
school building which he did by May 1970 and the Bishop handed it over to the Bethany
Sisters to run an English Medium School to cater to the educational needs of the
people of Sultanpur and the Christian community in particular.
The construction of the Karunashray Hospital on the plot acquired on the Allahabad
Faizabad Road earlier began only in 1972. After the slow and unsteady progress due
to the insufficient funds set aside by the late Bishop Raymond D’Mello, the completed
hospital building was finally inaugurated on 9th February 1975 by the then Parliamentary
Minister, Shri Kedarnath Singh, in the absence of the Bishop.
However, the formal blessing of the hospital and the new Parish House constructed
by Fr. J. B. Castelino, was done on 17th March 1975 by Rt. Rev. Dr. Alfred Fernandez
and the privilege of running the hospital went to the Ursuline Sisters of Mary Immaculate
of Cannanore, Kerala.
From time to time the parish priests were appointed by the Bishop of Allahabad to
serve the spiritual needs of the sisters of both communities and the small Catholic
community of Sultanpur. The parish priest of Sultanpur is also givent he additional
responsibility of a visiting station at HAL, Korwa, where Mass is offered on alternative
Sundays for a small Catholic Community of Korwa and Amethi.
Some priests were posted here to do their B.Ed. studies as this facility was made
available by the Head of the B. Ed. department of KNI at Sultanpur and Amethi.
On the occasion of the Silver Jubilee Year of the Catholic Mission, Sultanpur, in
the year 1992, Dr. Eugene Rebello volunteered to sponsor a grotto to the parish
Jubilee Memorial under the guidance of late Fr. John of the Cross D’Souza, while
Fr. Thomas Serrao arranged the transport of the statue of Our Lady of Lourdes from
Rt. Rev. Isidore Fernandes, the then Bishop of Allahabad, blessed the grotto on
the occasion of the Silver Jubilee celebrations of the Church as well as the Stella
Maris Convent, held simultaneously on 29th November, 1992. On the suggestion given
by late Fr. John of the Cross D’Souza, the Church was dedicated to St. Paul by the
Bishop and thereby he renamed it again St. Paul’s Church, the only Church to be
dedicated to St. Paul in the diocese.
Fr. Sebastian D’Cruz, during his tenure as the parish priest, took the initiative
to build the present church with the encouragement and financial backing of Bishop
Isidore Fernandes. The foundation Stone was blessed and laid by Fr. Sebastian D’Cruz
on 26th May 1999 and it took about a year and a half for him to complete the building.
The inauguration and the blessing of the church and the consecration of the altar
was done by Rt. Rev. Isidore Fernandes in the presence of the diocesan priests,
religious brothers and sisters and the faithful of the parish on 18th October, 2000.